Debt Collection

Legal Information

  • Sample Answer

    If you are sued by a debt collector, you may or may not want to answer the lawsuit. You will usually need the advice of a lawyer before making this decision. If you cannot get the advice of a lawyer in 20 days, you may wish to use this sample answer as a guide. Content Detail

  • Submit a complaint to the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau

    Do you have a complaint about a financial product or consumer issue? You may submit your complaint to the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau (CFPB) about the following consumer issues: Mortgages; Debt collection; Credit reporting; Bank accounts or services; Credit cards; Money transfers; Payday loans; Student loans; Vehicle or other consumer loans. The CFPB accepts complaints online, by phone, mail, or fax. Contact the CFPB at: (855) 411-CFPB (2372), TTY/TDD (855) 729-CFPB (2372); Fax (855) 237-2392. Its mailing address is: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, P.O. Box 4503, Iowa City, Iowa 52244. Content Detail

    Consumer Finance Protection Bureau
  • Was I served legal papers properly?

    Learn about one of your key defenses. Determine if you were served papers properly. Read More

    National Association of Consumer Advocates