Legal Information

Other Family Problems

25 Resource(s) Found
Filter By:

Common Questions About Child Custody

Start here to find answers to common questions about child custody. 자녀 양육권에 대한 일반적인 질문에 대한 답변을 찾으려면 여기에서 시작하십시오. Comience aquí para encontrar respuestas a preguntas comunes sobre la custodia de los hijos. Magsimula dito upang makahanap ng mga sagot sa mga karaniwang katanungan tungkol sa pag-iingat ng bata.

Court Mediation Programs

The Alaska Court System provides free and low-cost mediation programs for child custody/visitation cases, child-in-need-of-aid (CINA) cases, & adult guardianship/conservatorship cases. Information about these programs in particular, and mediation in other matters is available here.

Custody Forms

Complete forms and instructions about how to file for and litigate a custody case between unmarried parents. Married parents must request custody in conjunction with their divorce.

Guidance for Parents about Parenting Plans during COVID-19

A question and answer guide based on the April 3, 2020 order by Alaska's presiding judges.

How Domestic Violence Impacts a Custody Dispute

Frequently asked questions about how the Courts determine custody when one parent has a history of violence.

How to officially change your name in Alaska

Information, instructions, and forms for changing either an adult's or child's name in Alaska state court.

Parent Tip Sheet For Video Visits during COVID-19

If you are looking for tips or ideas to have more effective video contact with your kids, this resource may be a helpful tool.

The Best Interests of the Child

Whenever a court has to make a decision about custody or visitation with children, the legal standard they use is "the best interests of the child." Here you can find out what exactly a Judge is looking for in order to make their decision.

We're splitting up, and I need a lawyer!

Many people handle their divorce and custody disputes without an attorney, but when one side has decided to hire an attorney, there are several ways that the other side can level the playing field by hiring their own.

What is a Guardian ad Litem or Custody Investigator?

A brief explanation of the terms "Guardian ad Litem" (GAL) and "Custody Investigator (CI)" in Alaska State Court custody or divorce with children cases.

Who is the Father?

The Alaska Court System and CSSD both provide guidance for men looking to establish paternity of a child they have no formal claim to, or disestablish paternity of a child born to their wife, that they are not the biological father of.

Appearing in Court from a Distance

This video tells you how you can participate in hearing and the trial if you don’t live near the court site or within driving distance.

Child Support

The judge must order child support whenever the court makes a custody decision. Child support is not optional and it cannot be waived. This video explains how child support awards are made.

Custody and Parenting Plan Part 1

You and the other parent will have to submit a plan for the care of your children to the judge. This is called the parenting plan or a custody and visitation plan. This video reviews the things you need to consider when writing this plan.

Custody and Parenting Plan - Part 2

This video talks about putting things like subsistence activities, visiting grandparents and travel arrangements into the parenting plan.

Disclosure and Discovery

In a divorce case, each person must provide the other person with complete information about their finances. This is called disclosure. When you need to get additional information from your spouse during the divorce, you can use the tools of discovery. This video talks about what needs to be disclosed, and how to get more information through discovery.

Filing Documents by Mail

If you do not live near the court site or within driving distance, you can still file documents with the court. This video reviews what you need to do to properly file court documents by mail.

Marital Property

This video tells you what is considered marital property and debt, and how it gets divided in a divorce.

Motion Practice - Deadlines

There are certain deadlines for the steps in motion practice, and you must follow certain rules about mailings. This video goes over the deadlines for each step.

Motion Practice - Motion

A motion is the paper you must file to ask the judge to order something or to take some other action. It is the first step in a three-step process called motion practice. This video covers the first step of the process, filing a motion.

Motion Practice - Opposition

This video explains the second part of motion practice, where the person who has been served a copy of the original motion has the opportunity to respond.

Motion Practice - Reply

This video review the third step in motion practice, the reply. A reply is not required, but the person who filed the motion (step 1) can reply to the opposition (step 2) if there is something in the opposition they want to respond to.

Options to Resolve your case

This video talks about options to reach agreement without going to trial, including mediation and settlement conferences.

Serving the Other Side

You will be submitting many documents to the court during your case. In general you must give a copy of each document to the other side – or his or her attorney. This is called "service of process." This video reviews how to properly serve the other side, as well as providing proof of service to the court.

Standing Orders

This video reviews standing orders, the first court order you will receive after you file your case. The standing order will be in effect until your case is completed.

Back to top