Divorce or Dissolution

Legal Information

Click here for court information and court forms. 

  • Calculating Child Support Awards

    The Alaska Legislature set specific guidelines for child support that are followed by both the Alaska Court System and CSSD. These guidelines are laid out in Civil Rule 90.3 Read More

  • Change of Name Packets

    Information, instructions and forms for changing either an adult's or child's name. Content Detail

  • Child Support

    The judge must order child support whenever the court makes a custody decision. Child support is not optional and it cannot be waived. This video explains how child support awards are made. Read More

    Alaska Family Law Self-Help Center
  • Court Mediation Programs

    The Alaska Court System provides free and low-cost mediation programs for child custody/visitation cases, child-in-need-of-aid (CINA) cases, & adult guardianship/conservatorship cases. Information about these programs in particular, and mediation in other matters is available here. Content Detail

  • Divorce and Dissolution Forms

    All of the forms necessary to end your marriage - whether you and your spouse are in agreement or disagreement on things - can be found here. Content Detail

  • Guardian ad Litem or Custody Investigator?

    In any case where a Judge has to make a decision about what is best for a child, they can appoint a Guardian ad Litem (GAL) to represent the child's interests in the court, or a Custody Investigator (CI) to provide information to the judge about the family situation. It is the responsibility of the GAL or CI to report to the Court what they believe is in the best interests of the child, regardless of what the parents, grandparents, or children think. Read More

  • Innocent Spouse Relief

    Many couples file joint tax returns, making them both liable for any taxes the IRS determines are due. The IRS can still collect those taxes from you even if you have a divorce decree stating your former spouse is responsible for the debt. There are some cases in which a spouse (or former spouse) can be relieved of the tax, interest, and penalties incurred from a joint tax return. Content Detail

    Internal Revenue Service
  • We're splitting up, and I need a lawyer!

    Many people handle their divorce and custody disputes without an attorney, but when one side has decided to hire an attorney, there are several ways that the other side can level the playing field by hiring their own. Read More