Grandparent Custody and Visitation

Legal Information

Click here for court information and court forms. 

  • Court Mediation Programs

    The Alaska Court System provides free and low-cost mediation programs for child custody/visitation cases, child-in-need-of-aid (CINA) cases, & adult guardianship/conservatorship cases. Information about these programs in particular, and mediation in other matters is available here. Content Detail

  • Delegation of Powers by Parent

    This form allows a temporary one-year delegation of powers by a parent or guardian to a 3rd party they have authorized to raise their child. Content Detail

  • Guardian ad Litem or Custody Investigator?

    In any case where a Judge has to make a decision about what is best for a child, they can appoint a Guardian ad Litem (GAL) to represent the child's interests in the court, or a Custody Investigator (CI) to provide information to the judge about the family situation. It is the responsibility of the GAL or CI to report to the Court what they believe is in the best interests of the child, regardless of what the parents, grandparents, or children think. Read More