How to officially change your name in Alaska

Authored By: Alaska Legal Services

Change of Name in the Alaska Court System

Alaska law requires that name changes are done in Alaska Superior Court. A petition for a name change must be filed with the Court and approved by a Judge.

The Alaska Court System provides form packets, with instructions, to petition for a name change.

There is one form packet for adults and a separate form packet for children (under age 18). A person who is under 18, but who has been emancipated, should use the adult forms.

These forms are not needed to change your name as part of a divorce or dissolution.

Last Review and Update: Jul 24, 2023
Was this information helpful?
Back to top