COVID-19 and Housing Rights

Authored By: Alaska Legal Services Corporation

COVID-19 및 주택 권리

COVID-19 y derechos de vivienda

COVID-19 at Mga Karapatan sa Pabahay

Things to Know regarding COVID-19, Evictions, and Housing Rights in Alaska.

1.    Can my landlord evict me during the COVID-19 pandemic?

2.    What should I do if my landlord has filed to evict me?

3.    How can I get help catching up on rent?

4.    Are there other protections for me as a tenant besides the CDC eviction moratorium?

1.     Can my landlord evict me during the COVID-19 pandemic?

Yes. While there was a CDC eviction in effect previously, it no longer applies. Landlords can move forward with eviction cases in Alaska at this time.


2. What should I do if my landlord has filed to evict me?

If you are being evicted for any reason, call Alaska Legal Services Corporation (1-888-478-2572) to apply for legal help.

There is also a FREE Landlord-Tenant Hotline from 6-8 p.m. Monday through Thursday each week. This is a service staffed by volunteer attorneys. The number is 907-743-1000, or toll-free at 855-743-1001.

Next, you should  take these steps:

  1. File an FED Answer to the eviction case that was filed against you with the court system. In your answer, if you are being evicted for non-payment of rent, make sure to include that in this answer. You may want to include other defenses or claims in this answer - you should be as detailed as possible to make sure the judge understands your situation.
  2. If you applied for rental assistance from the Alaska Housing Relief program run by AHFC, and you are still waiting to hear about your application, you should request to have the hearing postponed by filing a motion for a "continuance." We have also prepared a separate affidavit you can complete and give to the court to show that you are still waiting for an answer on your application.
  3. If a court date / time is set for a hearing, you should make sure you attend the hearing, and explain your case to the judge. If you do not attend this hearing or do not respond to the complaint, a judge may enter a default judgment against you and make you pay for your landlord’s costs.
  4. If you need more time to prepare for your hearing, you have the right to ask for a brief extension of time to do that. You’ll need to file the request with both the landlord and with the court.


3. How can I get help catching up on rent?

If you need help paying your rent, see AlaskaLawHelp's guide to Cash or Rental Assistance Options during COVID-19.

You can also use the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s tool for seeing what rental assistance may be available to you


4. Are there other protections for me as a tenant, besides the CDC eviction moratorium?

Even without COVID and the CDC eviction moratorium, there are specific protections for tenants under state and federal law. See AlaskaLawHelp's housing resources for more information.

If you live in public housing, USDA Rural Development housing, have a Section 8 voucher, or live in a property covered by a federally backed mortgage, check AlaskaLawHelp's page on Public Housing Eviction for Nonpayment of Rent to see if the 30-day notice requirement applies to you.

ALSC's Tenant Affidavit of waiting for Housing Assistance - Updated August 2, 2021

Last Review and Update: Jan 20, 2022
Back to top