My PFD Was Garnished for Unknown Reasons, and I Want It Back. What Do I Do?


Your PFD can only be garnished to pay a child support arrearage, a tax debt, or a judgment. Creditors can only garnish your PFD if they have been to court first and have won a judgment against you. Chances are, if your PFD was garnished, you have one of these outstanding obligations. The notice from the PFD Office should tell you where your money went. If it went for child support, it will probably say that it went to CSSD or another state's support collection agency. If there is a court case number (example: 1JU-05-123 CI), then that means a creditor went to court and got a judgment against you. If you don't know what the judgment was for, you can go to the courthouse and ask for a copy of the court case and see who sued you and why.

Last Review and Update: Jan 12, 2005