Native Village of Barrow and Inupiat Community of the Arctic Slope

Authored By: Alaska Legal Services


MAP: Charles Sollie Hugo, ICAS Community Flag Contest Winner, Inupiat Community of the Arctic Slope (last visited Jul. 5, 2020)


This guide will explain: 




Due Process

  • Due process means that the court must treat everyone fairly.
  • The The Indian Civil Rights Act requires that all people receive due process.
  • For tribal courts, that means you are entitled to three things:
    • Notice - the court must tell you about the hearing so you can be present
    • An Opportunity to Be Heard - the court must give you a chance to speak and to tell your side of the story
    • A Fair and Impartial Hearing - the hearing must be held in a formal fashion with no conflicts of interest 
  • A conflict of interest is when an officer of the court, like the judge, has a personal interest in the case and might be biased or impartial.
  • For more on what due process requires the court to provide you, please visit AVCP
  • If you think you were denied notice, an opportunity to be heard or a fair and impartial hearing, you can contact an attorney.



  • Jurisdiction means that the court has the ability to hear your case.
  • If a tribal court has jurisdiction, then all state courts and state agencies must respect the decision of the tribal court. 
  • In Alaska, tribal courts have jurisdiction over tribal members when the issue involves matters related to internal governance of the tribe such as:
    • Adoptions • Child Custody • Child Protection • ICWA Intervention • Marriages/Divorces • Probate/Inheritance • Cultural Protections • Domestic Violence • Assault/Disorderly Conduct • Juvenile Delinquency • Vandalism • Misuse of Firearm • Trespass • Drug and Alcohol Regulation
  • Not all tribal courts will hear cases on all the matters listed above.
  • For more information about jurisdiction, visit AVCP


Types of Cases the Native Village of Barrow and Inupiat Community Tribal Courts of the Arctic Slope will Hear

  • Tribal Courts in the Arctic Slope Region handle the following matters:
    • Adoptions, Guardianship, Child in Need of Aid (CINA), and Juvenile Wellness Court
    • Juveniles who have been cited by the North Slope Borough Police Department for minor consuming (MCA) or misconduct involving a control substance (MICS) are referred by the State of Alaska District Court to Tribal Court with a signed memorandum of agreement (MOA).
    • Tribal Court can also settle civil disputes when a juvenile member wants to bring an issue before the Tribal Court Judges by petition.
  • The Native Village of Barrow Tribal Court will not hear cases regarding the following matters:
    • Divorce proceedings, child custody or felony criminal matters.
    • Tribal Court will not handle lawsuits involving monetary settlements


How To Apply To Start a Case in the Native Village of Barrow Tribal Court

  • To start an adoption case or youth wellness case, fill out the appropriate document, which can be found here
  • For all other matters, call the court clerk:
    • (907) 852-4411
  • The clerk will give you the necessary documents to petition the court to hear your case.
  • The clerk will also tell you how to submit your documents.
  • To start a case in other tribal courts in the Inupiat Community, contact the tribal court or tribal government directly.

Tribal Code and How to Find It

  • Tribal codes are the written rules that make tribal law.
  • Tribal courts follow their tribal code.
  • It is important to familiarize yourself with tribal code, so you understand what you must prove or disprove to succeed in your tribal court case. 
  • If you wish to see the tribal code, ask the court clerk or point of contact.
  • The Native Village of Barrow uses three codes:
    • Judicial Code
    • Children’s Code
    • Juvenile Wellness Code
  • More information can be found here


Free or Low-Cost Legal Assistance

  • Alaska Legal Services Corporation (ALSC)
    • ALSC assists low-income clients who are facing critical civil legal issues. These issues include: consumer law, family law, housing problems, public benefits, healthcare complications, Alaska Native law, and other areas specific to veterans or the elderly.
    • ALSC also offers free community legal clinics
    • 1-888-478-2572. If you are unable to call, you can also fill out an application for ALSC’s Services.
  • Alaska Native Justice Center (ANJC)
    • Supports individuals who have been physically, emotionally or sexually abused by a partner or are seeking assistance with a legal issue like divorce, separation, child custody, support or protective order.
    • ANJC might be able to represent you or advise you on how to represent yourself.
    • Phone: (907) 793-3550
  • Alaska Network of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault (ANDVSA)
    • If you are a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault, ANDVSA offers free, confidential assistance, including legal advocacy and court accompaniment.
    • That means they may offer an advocate to assist you in tribal court.
  • Disability Law Center
    • The Disability Law Center may be able to assist you with legal representation, but they take cases on a case-by-case basis and according to what their resources allow.
    • There is no application for legal assistance. They ask that you contact them directly at:
      • 907-565-1002 (in Anchorage) or 1-800-478-1234 (Statewide)
      • Email:


The Appeal Process

  • If you are not happy with the outcome of your tribal court case, you are entitled to an appeal. 
    • An appeal is when you feel that you trial or hearing was not fair, violated your rights, or the court incorrectly applied the law to the facts of your case or made some other mistake.
  • If the tribal court allows parties to appeal their case, the court will not give you a whole new trial. Instead, it will look to see if the tribal court made any mistakes in your original case.
  • The Native Village of Barrow Tribal Court does have an appeal process.
    • If you appeal your case, three judges will be selected who have not heard your case to sit on the appellate court.
  • For other tribal courts in the Inupiat Community of the Arctic Slope, you must contact the court directly to find out if they allow parties to appeal cases.


“Exhausting All Remedies”

  • Before a state court will rule on a case that was already decided in tribal court, the party who wants the state court to look at the case must first exhaust (meaning try) all tribal court remedies.
  • If an appeal does not change the decision in your case, you may then appeal to a state or federal court.


Native Village of Barrow Tribal Court Directory and Forms


Contacting other Tribal Courts of the Inupiat Community

  • Many forms and documents can be obtained by contacting the particular tribal court directly.
  • Tribal court representatives, particularly the court clerk, can answer many questions about tribal court procedures.
  • If a tribal court has a website, you may be able to access important forms and documents there. If the tribal court does not have a website, call the court directly.
  • A tribal court directory can be found here
  • If you are unable to contact the tribal court or the tribal government, the Inupiat Community of the Arctic Slope Regional Association might be able to assist. You can contact them here
Last Review and Update: Jul 27, 2020